Saturday, May 24, 2008

20 miles in the sun


Looking across Lake Glacier

This morning I arrived at the Fellows Riverside Gardens parking lot in Mill Creek Park at 8:00 AM to run trails with some of my running buddies. The weather today was supposed to awesome - Sunny and mid to upper 60's. It turned out to be just that. There was even a nice cool breeze that felt really good in the sunshine. Here's a picture of us before we hit the trails...

From left to right: Bruce McMurray, Dan Kuzma, myself, Jesse, and Greg Murray

This was Greg's first visit to the park so he really enjoyed the new scenery. Our plan today was to run one big YUT-C loop around all 3 lakes and then run one inner loop from the Old Log Cabin to Lanterman's Mill and back for a total of 20 miles. The weather made the run seem easy for all of us and we were able to keep a nice conversational pace. After the first big loop though I thought about calling it a day. I felt pretty tired but I knew that I needed to take advantage of the day, especially since I don't get to Mill Creek Park as much as I used to. After finishing the run I was really glad that I decided to continue on. Today marks the 4th weekend in a row that I've run 18 miles or more as a long run. My body felt pretty good afterwards and I think that I'm in pretty good shape heading into the Laurel Highlands 70 Miler which will take place on Saturday, June 14th.

Here are some more pictures from today's run...

Next to the Lake Cohassett waterfall

Tulips outside of Lanterman's Mill

A blue heron standing next to the waterfall at Lanterman's Mill

Lake Newport

Bruce taking in the view

Mother goose guarding her babies

No comments: