Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Days to Covered Bridge

From left to right: Me, Rich Wisneski, Courtney Baker, Bill Bailey, Jim Chaney & Nick Billock

After staying up late for the 4th of July I wasn't too sure if I had the energy to get going on today's run, but thankfully I pushed myself out the door and met Courtney at Happy Days around 3:00pm. We then drove over to the Covered Bridge which is about 11 miles away and dropped off my car in case we needed it for aid or to call it quits and head home. The way I was feeling today I knew this was as far as I was going to go.

Upon arriving back at Happy Days, which is mile 70.5 of the Burning River 100, we met up with 4 other runners and then began our run around 3:40pm. The holiday weekend weather continued to be great again today - sunny, low humidity, and about 80 degrees. The plan for most people was to get to the Covered Bridge (mile 85 of the Burning River 100) and then continue on to the finish the BR100 in Cuyahoga Falls, but I decided that 11 miles was enough for me today and was grateful that I made it this far on an empty tank. The surprising thing however was that I felt better as the run went on while some other runners became more tired. I guess I developed a new philosophy today by accident - If you feel horrible at the beginning of a run, it can't get any worse.

Well, here are a few more photos from the day, as well as a video that Jim Chaney took during our run. He has been filming segments of the BR100 and then posting them on YouTube for other runners to familiarize themselves with the course. Nice job on that Jim!

Me heading up a big hill at the Kendall Hills area

Me heading downhill - the fun part!

No comments: