Saturday, June 27, 2009

34 Mile Burning River Training Run

Left to right - Mark Anson, Kathleen Alexander, Kirk Harrison, Star Blackford, Jeff Musick, and myself (Sean Hensley joined us later)

In preparation of the Burning River 100 miler, I met a group of runners this afternoon at the Happy Days Visitor Center around 3 o'clock. Our plan was to run the last 30 miles of the course, finishing up in the center of Cuyahoga Falls. The temperature today was in the low 80's and since we started during the hottest part of the day it definitely made things tough. This was a great run though for us to help acclimate to the weather we'll be experiencing in August.

I felt great during most of the run but I could tell that later on in the evening I was getting tired from not eating enough solid food and possibly not taking in enough salt during the day. I primarily relied on Gu Chomps. However, I did have some peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, pretzels, and a bottle of Coke at the Covered Bridge parking lot (thanks to the aid dropped by others). Despite feeling some fatigue from the sun beating down on us all day, I was able to hang on and finish a total of 34 miles in 8 hours with Kirk and Star. Here are a few pictures and a video taken during the day...



The Tunnel of Terror!

An unattended government vehicle in the woods

No comments: