Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tree Farm Trail

Tonight my brother and I were looking for a new place to run in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. After checking out the map above, we decided to park next to the Horseshoe Pond (southwest of Peninsula) and run the tree farm loop a couple times in opposite directions to finish with 5.5 miles. This trail is pretty nice and is overall pretty flat and wide.




As we were pulling into the parking lot I stopped to ask this guy who had just got done fishing if we were allowed to park here after dark. He said yes but cautioned us on running in the dark. He said that there have been reports of a large cat (mountain lion) in the area and that it was on the news. At first I thought he was just joking around but he continued to talk very seriously about this and mentioned that his wife teaches nearby at Woodridge high school. Well, Jeff and I didn't decide to cancel our run but it did make us pay a little more attention to all the sounds we heard in the woods. Once I got home I looked online and found these 2 recent articles -www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/30832499.html
www.ohio.com/news/30553834.html

Overall it was a good run. My legs felt great following last Saturday's 60 miles and best of all, we didn't run into this guy...

3 comments:

ErieTom said...

Good grief, a mountain lion! I probably would have gotten back in the car and drove elsewhere!

Nice job!

Josh said...

woah! Mountain lions in Ohio! I guess there's plenty of room and food for them in CVNP. So I guess my paranoia that a mountain lion was stalking me in the middle of the night at BR last year wasn't totally unfounded :)

Brian said...

Somehow I doubt this is true, but it would make our night runs more interesting!