Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What a pain in the.... eye!


This is what my right eye looked like today

Yesterday after lunch I could feel my right eye getting dry and then all of a sudden I began to feel more and more pain. It didn't take me long to remember this feeling which I experienced the day after scratching my eye on a branch during a night run back in February. So, after making an appointment with an eye doctor in Warren I left work early in the afternoon. Once the doctor looked at my eye he told me what I was expecting to hear... that I reopened the initial scratch on the outer layer of my eye. This condition is known as recurrent corneal errorsion. All he did though was give me some eye drops and had me schedule another appointment.

Well, this morning when I woke up I had even more pain and discomfort in my eye so I was forced to take the day off work and made an appointment with the eye doctor in Streetsboro that I saw initially for the first time back in February. I had to wait all the way until 2:30 pm but finally got in. Once he looked at my eye he said wow, you must be a tough guy. I didn't like the sound of this but he said that I'd be alright. It's just that I would have to go back to step 1 in healing this eye. He then put a contact lens in my right eye to cover the abrasion and said that I would need to keep this in my eye for about a month without removing it. The first time I saw this doctor he gave me a more temporary contact, which he took out after only a day or so. This time however he gave me a more permanent contact to help aid in a fuller recovery of the eye. This allows the cornea's outermost layer of cells to reattach with the underlying membrane. The only problem I have with keeping the contact in my eye for a month is that the doctor said I might have to get used to some blurriness. So, that's where I stand as of now. Hopefully nothing else comes up between now and Massnautten that could intervere with my race plans.

No comments: